Mixed-Use

Permalink Gallery

90 Fairlie Lofts

90 Fairlie Lofts
90 Fairlie Street NW

Constructed between 1919 and 1929 in the Art Deco style, 90 Fairlie is located in the middle of Atlanta’s Fairlie-Poplar district, the city’s most intact and concentrated area of late-19th and early-20th century commercial structures.

Permalink Gallery

Fairlie Poplar Lofts

Fairlie Poplar Lofts
79, 85/87 Poplar Street
87/89 Fairlie Street

The Fairlie Poplar Lofts were constructed in 1916 as commercial structures. In 1996 the buildings were renovated as a mixed use development for retail space and loft apartments.

Permalink Gallery

Freeman Ford Lofts

Freeman Ford Lofts
75 John Wesley Dobbs Ave. NE

Built in 1930 by architect G. Lloyd Preacher, the Freeman Ford building originally housed an automobile dealership that served the nearby African-American “Sweet Auburn” neighborhood. Its Art-Deco style features rounded corners and decorative terra cotta details. The building was rehabilitated in 1996 for use as loft apartments and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.

Permalink Gallery

The Giant Lofts

The Giant Lofts
426 Marietta Street NW

This building was built in 1923 by architect Emil C. Seiz as a warehouse for the Westinghouse Electric Company. Seiz was the in-house architect for Atlanta’s Massell Realty Company from 1915-1940. The six story building is concrete frame clad in brick. It was renovated in 1996 for use as loft apartments, then converted to condominiums.

Permalink Gallery

Hastings Seed Company Building

Hastings Seed Company Building
434 Marietta Street NW

In 1913, the Mackle & Crawford Construction Company built this warehouse and business building for the F.J. Cooledge and Sons Company, a glass and paint manufacturer. In 1940, the building was sold to the Hastings Seed Company, which used it for shipping and receiving as well as a landscape supply store. The building is an excellent example of utilitarian industrial architecture, featuring exposed concrete ceilings, wood floors, and oversized windows. In 1994, the building was rehabilitated into loft apartments and gallery space. Today the upper floors are condominiums and the lower level is used for retail.

Permalink Gallery

Healey Building

Healey Building
57 Forsyth Street NW

The 16-story Healey Building was completed in 1914 near the end of Atlanta’s first skyscraper era (1893-1918). The building was designed and constructed by local Atlanta architectural firm Morgan & Dillon, along with Walter T. Downing, for use as office space. It features neo-Gothic elements such as pointed arches, tracery, and an ornate cornice that caps the building. Unusual fenestration marks the front facade, with windows of different sizes and shapes marking the upper floors. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, then rehabilitated in 1987 into retail spaces and condominiums.

Permalink Gallery

Hotel Roxy

Hotel Roxy
768 Marietta Street NW

The Hotel Roxy was originally constructed in 1921 as the H.B. Davis Building. It contained a grocery and hardware store, as well as second-story offices for doctors and dentists. In 1939 the Hotel Roxy opened, catering to out-of-town railroad and construction workers. The three-story building, a good example of a basic, early 20th century commercial building, has a rectangular facade and brick pilasters creating seven bays. In 1995, the building was converted into loft apartments and retail space on the ground floor.

Permalink Gallery

Pioneer Neon Lofts

Pioneer Neon Lofts
342 Marietta Street NW

The Pioneer Neon Lofts were constructed as warehouse in 1915 by the Selig Chemical Company. The building is a typical early twentieth century commercial construction, with arched-brick openings on the Marietta Street facade, limestone and concrete ornamentation, diamond-shaped geometric designs, cast-stone window sills and copings, and brick patterning. In 1992 the building was rehabilitated into loft apartments.

Permalink Gallery

StudioPlex

StudioPlex
659 Auburn Avenue NE

The StudioPlex loft complex was originally constructed between 1905 and 1918 as the Southeastern Cotton Warehouse. It features a solid concrete exterior and is considered to be the oldest concrete structure in the city. The building underwent a $10 million renovation in 1999 and serves as a mixed-use residential and business complex for local artists.

Permalink Gallery

Swift & Company Lofts

Swift & Company Lofts
244 Peters Street

Originally a meat-packing facility, the Swift and Company building is located in Atlanta’s historic Castleberry Hill district. The building, constructed in 1927, is an excellent example of early twentieth century industrial architecture, featuring interior exposed beams and brick walls. In the late 1990’s the building was converted into a condominium complex.