Commercial

Permalink Gallery

70 Fairlie

70 Fairlie70 Fairlie Street NW

Currently an office building, 70 Fairlie is located in the heart of Atlanta’s Fairlie-Poplar district, a commercial district that served as the South’s primary office center for the first half of the 20th century.

Permalink Gallery

Block Candy

Block Candy
512 Means Street NW

This building originally housed the Atlanta Spring Bed Company (1900-1909) and the Block Candy Company (1928-1936). It is classified architecturally as “utilitarian industrial,” with segmentally arched windows, recessed window bays, a brick belt course, double-hung and center-pivot windows, and a brick elevator tower. The building was rehabilitated in 1994 for use as office space and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.

Permalink Gallery

Glenn Building

Glenn Building
120 Marietta Street NW

The Glenn Building was built in 1923 by George Fuller to take advantage of the recently completed Spring Street viaduct. Its limestone exterior and terra cotta embellishments are typical of early skyscraper design. Currently, the building is being renovated into a boutique hotel and restaurant.

Permalink Gallery

Haas-Howell Building

Haas-Howell Building
75 Poplar Street NW

The Haas-Howell Building was designed and constructed in 1920 by famous Atlanta architect Neel Reid as the headquarters of the prosperous Haas-Howell Insurance Company. It features Beaux-Arts style elements such as decorative swags and a smooth, symmetrical stone facade. Today the building is owned by Georgia State University and contains music classrooms and backstage facilities for the Rialto Theatre.

Permalink Gallery

Oddfellows Building

Oddfellows Building
205 Auburn Avenue NE

The Oddfellows Building complex is located in the Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic District on Auburn Avenue, once the hub of Atlanta’s African American commercial life. Built under the guidance of black business leader Herman Perry in 1913, the building was constructed in the Jacobean style with terra cotta on its facade. The building contained African American owned businesses, an auditorium, and a roof garden. It served as the site of many black social functions of the 1920’s and 1930’s. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, then renovated in the 1980’s. Easements Atlanta holds an easement on the tower portion of the complex.

Permalink Gallery

Point Center Building

Point Center Building
417-433 Moreland Avenue NE

Located in the historic Little Five Points district, the Point Center building was built in 1925 . The largest structure in the neighborhood, the building is located along a former trolley line. Currently the Point Center building remains commercial, with street-level retail and offices above.

Permalink Gallery

Standard Building

Standard Building
92 Luckie Street NW

Located in the historic Fairlie-Poplar district of downtown Atlanta, the Standard Building, formerly the McGlawn-Bowne building, was constructed by William Howell and Associates in 1923. Its design is straightforward and relatively unadorned. Georgia State University purchased the building in the late 1990’s for classroom and office use.

Permalink Gallery

Walton Place

Walton Place
75 Marietta Street

Formerly known as the Georgia Railroad and Power Building, this building was constructed in 1907 and served as headquarters for Atlanta’s major utilities. It has a brick and stone façade encompassing an entire city block, and is considered to be one of Atlanta’s first skyscrapers. In the 1980s it was renovated as an historic office complex.