Project Description

Hastings Seed Company Building
434 Marietta Street NW

In 1913, the Mackle & Crawford Construction Company built this warehouse and business building for the F.J. Cooledge and Sons Company, a glass and paint manufacturer. In 1940, the building was sold to the Hastings Seed Company, which used it for shipping and receiving as well as a landscape supply store. The building is an excellent example of utilitarian industrial architecture, featuring exposed concrete ceilings, wood floors, and oversized windows. In 1994, the building was rehabilitated into loft apartments and gallery space. Today the upper floors are condominiums and the lower level is used for retail.